As in the previous year, before setting the precept and budget for the coming year, the council has looked closely at the council tax charges made by other parish councils in Teignbridge and compared councils with similar populations and facilities to Kingskerswell.
This year, we have continued to work hard undertaking new projects and carrying out those projects and ideas agreed over the previous years that had not been put into effect due to funding issues, including:
- New flooring, new lighting, bins for blokes, upgraded alarm panel and new highchairs at The Pavilion
- Security lighting, bike racks, noticeboard, oak tree reports, Jubilee Gardens (part grant funded), new benches (part funded) and a Changing Places Toilets module (part grant funded) at The Recreation Ground
- Ash Dieback works, alleviating pathway flooding, contributing in full to KNHS insurance costs at The Downs
- Vehicle Activated Speed cameras, two new defibrillators and bike racks in Kingskerswell
- Providing first aid, J9 domestic abuse awareness courses, and assisting with land disputes in the community
- Working with our contractors Princes, Topp Tree Care and SHS (to name but a few) to continue to provide excellent services throughout the village.
We have made savings by:
- Councillors carrying out general maintenance works at Water Lane Toilets at no cost
- Volunteers from the Parish Council and Sports Club painting the inside of The Pavilion at no cost
- Councillors repairing drainage gullies at The Recreation Ground – saving approx. £3,000
- Chasing outstanding debtors for £3,500
- Requesting grant money from Devon County Council for highway verge cutting works
Your Parish Council has voted unanimously on the proposed budget for the forthcoming year and whilst in percentage terms the increase may appear large, it represents around a £16 increase in the annual council tax bill for the average household, or 30 pence a week. We believe this will cover most urgent projects and increasing demands for improvements around the village in the coming year.
The reasons for this year’s 25% increase:
- Changing Places Toilets module:
We have budgeted £22,000.00 to cover the funding shortfall needed to provide much needed disabled toilet facilities at The Recreation Ground.
- Churchway Lane field:
To help with the long waiting list for allotments, we hope to provide plots at Churchway Lane and have budgeted an amount of £2,000.00 to set this project up, further costs are hoped to be covered by grant funding.
We have budgeted £2,500.00 to purchase and install a further defibrillator and to maintain the current defibrillators.
2023 is an election year and the Parish Council will need to pay for election costs, depending on how many Councillors stand for election.
- To assist with the ever-increasing workload created by our proactive Parish Council it has been agreed to employ an Admin Assistant and an amount has been set aside in the budget for this.
We thank you for your continued support.
We currently have two vacancies on the parish council, if you are interested in joining the Kingskerswell Parish Council please contact the clerk at email@example.com